Nov 25 (Reuters) – Japan play Costa Rica in World Cup Group E in Al-Rayyan on Sunday.
When: Sunday, Nov. 27, 1300 local (1000 GMT/0500 ET)
Where: Ahmad Bin Ali Stadium
Japan win: 4/9
Costa Rica win: 13/2
* Japan stunned Germany 2-1 in their opening game, registering their first win over the four-times world champions, while Costa Rica were hammered 7-0 by Spain.
* Japan are playing in their seventh successive World Cup, having started that run at France in 1998.
* Costa Rica are playing at a third successive World Cup for the first time.
* Japan’s Eiji Kawashima and Yuto Nagatomo are both appearing at their fourth World Cup. Yoshikatsu Kawaguchi and Seigo Narazaki were the only two Japanese players who had previously appeared at four.
* The teams have met five times, all in international friendlies, with Japan winning four games and the other ending in a draw.
Compiled by Manasi Pathak; Editing by Peter Rutherford
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.